The mission of B’nai Zion Congregation is to provide a multi-generational, inclusive community dedicated to the education, worship, and celebration of Conservative Judaism.
Women are equal and active participants in services, including the Board of Directors, Torah readings, aliyahs, and are counted in a minyan.
B’nai Zion welcomes interfaith families!
Jewish Community in Chattanooga
Chattanooga has an old and thriving Jewish community. Our community supports two synagogues:
•Our own B’nai Zion Congregation (Conservative)
•Mizpah Congregation (Reform)
Chattanooga community also supports
The Jewish Cultural Center houses the Jewish Federation of Greater Chattanooga. The JFGC’s Aleph Bet program provides a day school for pre-school children.
Older children may acquire Hebrew and Jewish learning through the synagogues’ own Hebrew school programs and the joint Chattanooga Jewish Community Religious School.
B’nai Zion promotes a unified Jewish community and is an active participant in the programs and offerings of the Jewish Federation of Greater Chattanooga.
In 1880 Wolfe Brody starts the Chattanooga Jewish community. A Tennessee State Charter was issued to the “Brethren from B’nai Chein” in 1888. In 11903 the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society was formed, now known as the B’nai Zion Sisterhood. The Chattanooga Free Hebrew school was established in 1909. The congregation’s name was changed to B’nai Zion in 1924. On October 9, 1961 the congregation’s affiliation was changed from Orthodox to modern Conservative. The ground was broken for the current McBrien Road synagogue on November 4, 1973. In 2013 Rabbi Susan Tendler became the congregation’s first female Rabbi.